Sunday, May 13, 2012

Creative Block--Breaking Thru?

Toxic nudibranchs
  Well, the annual case of "it's almost summer" malaise has hit.  My creativity has shriveled to a nub of its former self; I repeat previous designs in limited edition while I await the muses to regroup and rejoin the community of art and color that populates my studio.
   In the meantime, projects already in the midst of completion are receiving attention, but no new work is being incubated.  Much of my one-of-a-kind work takes weeks, if not months to gestate and then come to fruition. So when NOTHING is in the containers that incubate the work -- beads come and go along with add-ons to the focal piece--I get seriously worried.  Of course, that only serves to amplify the angst and worry that go along with the dearth of creative thinking...
  To jog the mind and jumpstart the vision, I've taken to looking at nudibranches (see picture above).  They're sea slugs, if you can believe it.  According to Wikipedia, they begin life nude and plain and evolve over time -- much like my jewelry.  Their colors are remarkable and, at times, absolutely surprising  (such as the case of these two).  I've been pinning them to my Pinterest page as creative juice, along with some other visuals that I've found online in an effort to energize the synapses that extend beyond the replicative movement of the hands to bead mindlessly....
   The other thing I'm doing is writing up directions for the sea urchin bracelet.  It will be offered in classes for those nearby who learn best in a class environment; it also will be available on my website in kit format (in a limited assortment of colors only).
   Stay tuned....We WILL jumpstart the muses -- I'm working on food as a means of luring them back home for the summer season.

No comments:

Post a Comment